Warning: Badassery Ahead!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning: Badassery Ahead!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
killatia
The Ultimate Class.. Pirate Ninja
killatia

Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Empty
PostSubject: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 am

http://tinyurl.com/2cvld6b
Finally a final say in all of this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.magicinkgaming.com/
Dukey
Ruler of Evil
Ruler of Evil
Dukey

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

I honestly think people SHOULD be fined for selling or renting MA games to youngsters. They do it with cigarettes and do it with R movies (I believe...). Keep the little bastards playing their T and under games, not only does it keep them out of my online experience, it also gives them 1 more thing to look forward to when they turn 18.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blurrypron.com
PHAThand
God of War
God of War

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 am

but.. but.. then i wouldn't be able to play no more heroes.. Sad
Back to top Go down
BoboTheMonkey
The Red Comet!
The Red Comet!
BoboTheMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 am

Age ratings.

Use them.
Back to top Go down
Valiante
cockboy
cockboy
Valiante

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:16 am

Unless I'm mistaken, in Canada at least, persuant to the RCC's "Commitment to Parents" national retailer code the retail outlet must comply with ESRB ratings or risk its parent company being terminated as a "Committed to Parents" retailer. While this might not seem like a particularly harsh punishment, consider the negative press they would fall victim to when their competitors become aware of their change in status. If that still doesn't seem like a severe enough penalty, then you're probably right, but I'm not sure crafting laws to change that is the right option. Such an action would invariable be subject to multiple appeals on the basis of their inherent nature as "Status Laws" and their constitutional incongruence.

Don't get me wrong, I support what they're trying to do, but I'm not optimistic about their future. Rather, increasing the sanctions resulting from retailer infractions of whatever ESRB-related code they sign to include harsh financial fees and other penalties along with a contractual obligation to abide by whatever decisions the code-making organization make on appeals would, I think, have a similar result without the legal mess this might create.

Kudos outta Saskatoon
Back to top Go down
Dukey
Ruler of Evil
Ruler of Evil
Dukey

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 6:16 pm

In all honesty I think they need to add a new rating to the ESRB. Bump M up to 18 and make a 16 year old rating. Halo shouldn't have the same rating as Gears of War or Mortal Kombat 9.

Also there's only 2 ways they should deal with selling M games to minors: A. Fine the retailer, or B. prohibit that retailer from selling games if caught.

B would suck ass for people who live in smaller cities like myself because we only have shitty Wal Mart to go to, but at the same time it would make people think twice about selling to minors because you don't get a 2nd chance.
Back to top Go down
killatia
killatia

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Dukey wrote:
In all honesty I think they need to add a new rating to the ESRB. Bump M up to 18 and make a 16 year old rating. Halo shouldn't have the same rating as Gears of War or Mortal Kombat 9.

Also there's only 2 ways they should deal with selling M games to minors: A. Fine the retailer, or B. prohibit that retailer from selling games if caught.

I agree that we could use a new rating grade to ESBR, but I think that too much ratings could be problematic.

Also there is an industry rule that gives the ESBR the right to fine a retailer if they do get caught selling to minors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.magicinkgaming.com/
Dukey
Ruler of Evil
Ruler of Evil
Dukey

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 9:27 pm

killatia wrote:
Dukey wrote:

I agree that we could use a new rating grade to ESBR, but I think that too much ratings could be problematic.

Also there is an industry rule that gives the ESBR the right to fine a retailer if they do get caught selling to minors.
That's awesome, didn't know about that! I do notice at Wal-Mart and shit that sometimes they WILL ask if the person's 17 or ask if their parents said they could buy it.. but that's it the kid just says "yes" and gets the game haha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!   Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Merchants Association (EMA) v. Schwarzenegger heads to supreme court!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warning: Badassery Ahead! :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: